Monday, April 11, 2005

Well we are finally packing all of our stuff for shipment home. It is a very strange feeling to be getting to the point where I am almost done with this journey. It seems like yesterday that I stepped off of the Blackhawk that brought me to J-bad and got my first good look at my new home for a year. At first glance it wasn't much, but we have built a pretty darn nice base in a year.

As I sit here I think how next month around this time our replacements are going to be showing up to take over our PRT and our missions here. I know (like every other soldier that is ever replaced on a base or on a mission) that I will probably look at the new guys coming in with trepidation and a little bit of snobbiness. In my opinion those thoughts and feelings are normal. I have spent a year of my life far from my family and friends with people trying to hurt me and my friends (maybe not everyday, but often enough). I am sure that some from the unit that replaces us will have been deployed before, but the majority are going to be soldiers that are either new to the army or new to that unit and have never been too far from home before. Hopefully the transition will be smooth.

Anyway, on to happier thoughts. I am very excited to come "home" to a new house! I am very happy with the choice that Emily and I made and I am sure we are going to love it. It is a nice two story brick home with an area downstairs that I can take over! I just can't wait to get back to my wife, family and friends. I am sure there are going to be times when it is "hard" being home (adjusting to civilian life) but I am looking forward to those challenges because I know I will be home!

Well, in closing I just want to say thank you again to all those that have been so supporting (not only of me, but also Emily) in my journey through this and have kept me going with letters, packages, pictures and so many kind words. I can't wait to see you all when I am home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home